Samba4: torturing SMB2 throws error at samba4.smb2.dir

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 19 23:00:26 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 23:06 -0400, Frank Gruman wrote:
> I've been asked to take a poke at Samba 4 and check on its potential in
> an existing AD infrastructure as a tertiary / final fail over point.  I
> grabbed the latest from git as of this evening and ran a waf build.
> This is looking good so far...
>
> Unfortunately, I run into a single error when I run 'make test'
>
>         [427/626 in 47m1s] samba4.smb2.dir
>         (dc)
>         Creating 700
>         files
>         pulling the first two
>         files
>         Changing attributes and
>         deleting
>         UNEXPECTED(failure): samba4.smb2.dir
>         (dc).MODIFY
>         REASON: ../torture/smb2/dir.c:998: status was
>         NT_STATUS_FILE_CLOSED, expected
>         NT_STATUS_OK:
>
>         command: ./bin/smbtorture --configfile=$SMB_CONF_PATH
>         --maximum-runtime=1200 --target=samba4
>         --basedir=/root/samba/source4/st/s4client
>         --option=torture:progress=no --format=subunit //$SERVER/tmp -U
>         $USERNAME%$PASSWORD --option=torture:sharedelay=10000
>         --option=torture:oplocktimeout=3
>         --option=torture:writetimeupdatedelay=50000
>         SMB2-DIR
>         expanded command: ./bin/smbtorture
>         --configfile=/root/samba/source4/st/client/client.conf
>         --maximum-runtime=1200 --target=samba4
>         --basedir=/root/samba/source4/st/s4client
>         --option=torture:progress=no --format=subunit //localdc1/tmp
>         -UAdministrator%localdcpass --option=torture:sharedelay=10000
>         --option=torture:oplocktimeout=3
>         --option=torture:writetimeupdatedelay=50000
>         SMB2-DIR
>         ERROR: Testsuite[samba4.smb2.dir
>         (dc)]
>         REASON: Exit code was
>         1
>

> The system is 64-bit openSUSE 11.2 on a Dell PowerEdge 860 with two
> dual-core 2.8GHz CPU / 4GB RAM

The problem here is that on Ubuntu, this test passes.  On Fedora and
apparently openSUSE, it fails.  It is due to differences in the ext3
implementation in the Kernel.  It is harmless in normal operation.

We hope to add some logic to the test to mark it as 'known fail' while
allowing it to succeed sometimes.  Sadly leaving it as a broken test has
not, despite the time, encouraged someone to fix the server.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.