proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Wed Apr 14 06:29:42 MDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 01:29:35PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 01:24:30PM +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> > A few weeks ago we discussed (on #samba-technical), if it would be
> > possible for waf to dump its configure knowledge to a plain shell based
> > configure script, which would be able to generate single Makefile.
> >
> > I assume waf has enough knowledge to to do something like that.
> > Then we could setup automated tests to make sure this build variant
> > keeps working.
> >
> > Would that be a way to address your concerns? If so, I'd try
> > to code that once Kai reached a stage where we can build source3
> > with waf.
>
> I think that would be outright perfect. I am not concerned
> at all about the developer's build machine having to provide
> python. It is the end-users box that I have problems with.
> If we ship a shell-based configure and Makefile in the final
> samba-latest.tar.gz on samba.org generated by waf, I think
> this would be the best of both worlds.

Isn't this going to be too fragile in the real world of horrible Unix?

The end user machine has to have exactly the same configuration as the
developer machine. There's enough variation in official OS updates and
in the way administrators apply them (eg only doing the general system
updates, and not updating the compiler tools) that it won't be a general
solution. That is something like what I have done manually a few times
on HP-UX and Solaris and it was painful.

Dan