proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

Tue Apr 6 05:29:35 MDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 01:24:30PM +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> A few weeks ago we discussed (on #samba-technical), if it would be
> possible for waf to dump its configure knowledge to a plain shell based
> configure script, which would be able to generate single Makefile.
>
> I assume waf has enough knowledge to to do something like that.
> Then we could setup automated tests to make sure this build variant
> keeps working.
>
> Would that be a way to address your concerns? If so, I'd try
> to code that once Kai reached a stage where we can build source3
> with waf.

I think that would be outright perfect. I am not concerned
at all about the developer's build machine having to provide
python. It is the end-users box that I have problems with.
If we ship a shell-based configure and Makefile in the final
samba-latest.tar.gz on samba.org generated by waf, I think
this would be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for that proposal!

Volker