running autogen-waf.sh as part of waf dist

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Apr 12 22:32:31 MDT 2010

Hi Simo,

Thanks for your TODO updates for the waf page!

Regarding the last one

  http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Waf#Run_autogen-waf.sh_within_waf_dist

where you ask for autogen-waf.sh to be run as part of 'waf dist', that
is indeed the intention if/when we get to stage 3 of the waf adoption
where waf is the standard build system.

For now I haven't done that as I didn't want to presume that the waf
build was going to replace the autoconf build. I proposed a staged
adoption of any new build system where there would be an opportunity
for team and community feedback between each stage:

  http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-March/070065.html

(I'm not sure if you saw this, as you were away)

At the moment we are at stage 2 for s4 (and thus also for the
dependent libs - talloc, tdb, tevent, ldb etc). During stage 2 the old
build system is the official one, so I left the old autogen.sh in
place, even if the tarball is created by waf.

So far I have had very positive comments from a lot of people on the
waf build in s4, so I will probably propose to move to stage 3
sometime soon.

We still need to sort out if the standard build for the dependent libs
should also be waf if we move to stage 3 for s4. I think we should,
but you had some concerns about that. I'd be interested in knowing if
you are happier with the idea of waf for ldb now you've had a chance
to try it.

If you like, we could create a ldb-waf build in the build farm first.

Cheers, Tridge