[Release Planning 3.6] Release planning for 3.6?

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Wed Apr 7 01:58:04 MDT 2010

Hi Christian,

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:30:36PM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Karolin Seeger (kseeger at samba.org):
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > Samba 3.5.2 will be released tomorrow.
> >
> > Samba 3.5.3 is scheduled for May 19 to address bug #7317 as soon as
> > possible. Unfortunately, it was too late get the patch into 3.5.2, but
> > there are so many important bug fixes which need to be addressed that
> > delaying 3.5.2 does not make sense.
>
> Karolin, last week-end I wandered through a few pages pages and list
> archives, but couldn't find the answer: what is the target release
> month for 3.6 (and, as a consequence, moving 3.5 to maintenance mode,
> 3.4 to sec fixes only, etc.)?
>
> This is of some importance for the decision we, Debian maintainers,
> have to take for what we want to provide for Debian squeeze (freeze
> planned "around June" and release planned "when it's ready"). Indeed,
> the two main maintainers (Steve Langasek and /me) have different views
> on the topic (but we're civilized people and try to find a
> consensus...).
>
> My current calculation is: 3.5 released on March 1st, so 3.6 planned
> for Sept. 1st.
>
> Maybe this is a decision that still has to be taken on the Samba Team
> side?

I was hoping that we can discuss that during the conference, but maybe
that's too late.

I would like to ship 3.6.0 in January 2011 if there are no objections.
But this is just my personal point of view.

July does not make any sense. So we should skip one major release date
and schedule 3.6 jor the beginning of 2011.

We need to decide whether we change the release cycle to 12 month, but
I would really like to talk to Team about that first.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Karolin

--