proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

Tue Apr 6 04:27:53 MDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 08:20:47PM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
>  > What blocks us from putting rpath capabilities into the
>  > autoconf based system in Samba3?
>
> nothing, you can certainly do it. If you have the enthusiasm to do
> that then please do.
>
>  > I would be fine and willing to give anything a try that does
>  > not introduce another dependency, in this case python. If
>  > you still have any questions why I dislike this additional
>  > dependency, please aks!
>
> Would the proposal to have autogen.sh check if python is available,
> and offer to download and install it within the Samba build tree be an
> acceptable solution?

Not to me, sorry.

> Or would you happy for us instead have a dual set of tarballs:
>
>       samba-x.y.tar.gz
> and   samba-x.y-with-python.tar.gz ?

> Perhaps that would address your concerns?

No, it does not, but my concerns are just what they are:
*my* concerns. If everybody else in the developer community
sees the necessity to dump the old build system, I will just
maintain a separate build system somewhere else for as long
as I have the energy to do so. It seems I am the only one
having any concerns at all, everybody else is enthusiastic
about the new build system. So I am probably just wrong in
this whole thread.

Volker