proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Apr 6 04:20:47 MDT 2010

Hi Volker,

 > What blocks us from putting rpath capabilities into the
 > autoconf based system in Samba3?

nothing, you can certainly do it. If you have the enthusiasm to do
that then please do.

 > I would be fine and willing to give anything a try that does
 > not introduce another dependency, in this case python. If
 > you still have any questions why I dislike this additional
 > dependency, please aks!

Would the proposal to have autogen.sh check if python is available,
and offer to download and install it within the Samba build tree be an
acceptable solution?

Or would you happy for us instead have a dual set of tarballs:

      samba-x.y.tar.gz
and   samba-x.y-with-python.tar.gz ?

That would be similar to the approach that OpenOffice.org uses for a
similar issue, where they have the "_wJRE" downloads for Windows users
in case you want OpenOffice.org bundled with a java runtime.

It would be pretty easy to have the release scripts generate two
tarballs for Samba, one with a python tarball bundled inside (and a
script to install it), and one without.

Perhaps that would address your concerns?

Cheers, Tridge