proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Apr 6 03:41:29 MDT 2010

Hi Volker,

 > For me LD_LIBRARY_PATH has worked fine so far.

Given the problems you are concerned about with getting the wrong
library with a binary, I suspect that LD_LIBRARY_PATH hasn't actually
worked out that well for you. It is pretty much impossible to get a
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or ld.so.conf setting that is correct for all the
different situations that developers run into. If you get it right for
one binary, and you then run another one (eg. ldapsearch) then you end
up stuck with the wrong library again.

That is why rpath saves a lot of headaches. Still you can instead use
the methods I described in my previous email to switch off all the
shared libs if you would prefer that.

 > To be honest, so far I have not been convinced to throw away
 > the old system in favor of something that will bring its own
 > set of problems.

I think it is a bit premature to judge whether waf is the right choice
for s3, as you can't yet try it out. Once it works I'd encourage you
to give it a try, and then comment from real experience.

Meanwhile, there don't seem to be any objections to merging the waf
build into master for the use of Samba4 developers, so I'll go ahead
with that later tonight.

Cheers, Tridge