proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

Mon Apr 5 03:08:17 MDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 06:58:40PM +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
>  > Go to an arbitrary default Solaris/AIX/Whatever box (Solaris
>  > is most popular for me), download samba-latest.tar.gz, type
>  > in ./configure;make and get a (possibly not fancy) smbd.
>
> I presume you wouldn't mind if the non-python version was called
> something other than configure?

Sure. I don't see the technical requirement to rename it
(does waf depend on being called configure?), but if this
needs to be done, so be it.

> For stage 2 of the proposed build change, the autotools build would be
> ./configure. If we decide to go to stage 3 for Samba3 (where the new
> build system becomes the default), then I'd suggest that the old
> configure script have a different name, so that ./configure gets the
> primary build system for the project.

Where does the need to convert Samba3 from? Who of the
Samba3 developers and users have complained about the build
system in Samba3?

Volker