proposal: merge waf build of s4 to master

Mon Apr 5 02:32:32 MDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 06:16:27PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Would it be acceptable if a script built a local copy of python, then
> built the Samba project?  We have seen that this can be automated (we do
> so on the build farm already), and it need have no impact on the rest of
> the system.
> Perhaps it would help to better understand the use case where this would
> be a problem.  Could it be solved if we also signed and shipped a
> tarball including python and the scripts to build the whole collection?
>
> My concern is that this is a rather stronger condition than I understood
> from your suggestion earlier in
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-March/070105.html
> and I want to understand better what a build system would need to do,
> while still meeting your needs.

My requirement is very simple:

Go to an arbitrary default Solaris/AIX/Whatever box (Solaris
is most popular for me), download samba-latest.tar.gz, type
in ./configure;make and get a (possibly not fancy) smbd.

I personally am not really concerned about tdb as a separate
package, so I should probably not have stepped into the
discussion at this point. Sorry for that.

Volker