[IPA] Storing SID in String Format

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 30 20:43:46 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 15:58 -0400, Endi Sukma Dewata wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Sorry for the long pause after our last conversation. I've been
> working on several proposals which are quite related to each other.
>
> The first one that I want to discuss with you is about storing
> SID in string format:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Samba_4_Storing_SID_in_String_Format

A thorough and full description of the problem, and a good proposal for
the solution.  (and exactly what I expected - that is very similar to
the way we do exactly this for the objectGUID).

Some work will need to be done to change the generated schema to use a
different syntax for only one object.  Alternately, it can be told to
skip objectSID, and know that you will otherwise provide it.

> That is a prerequisite for utilizing DNA plugin for SID allocation:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Samba_4_SID_Allocation_using_DNA_Plugin

This proposal looks very reasonable.

> And just so you know, I'm also looking for a way to resolve the
> conflicts between AD schema and standard LDAP schema:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Samba_4_Attribute_Type_Mapping

This looks like a good way to re-use that well-used and understood
codepath in Samba to achieve your goals.  (It also needs someone to love
it for better performance).

> That is a prerequisite for deploying Samba into an existing FDS
> instance which contains standard LDAP schema:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Samba_4_Provisioning_Existing_DS_Instance

I really like that!  I fully agree that the changes we make to Fedora DS
should be made by the ProvisionBackend class - as a function.  We should
just have a 'finish and shutdown' method on that class (with
implementations for OpenLDAP and Fedora DS).

> Also, the FDS support is currently still not working because there
> are still some issues related to SASL and schema. I'm working with
> the DS team to get this fixed by DS 1.2.3. Here's some info about it:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Samba_4_Authentication_Using_SASL

Great!

> So for now I'd like to get your opinion about the first proposal.
> Is this pretty much in line with what we've discussed before?

Even more than that - it's what we discussed, fleshed out the the
logical conclusions and sensible design.  I'm very impressed!

You may wish to look further into how you can use the ldb_map code to
reduce the need to store both tree formats.  I realise you have already
chosen the tree layout, but for example if samba was to use 'uid' for
samAccountName, it might be one less thing to have your Fedora DS side
tool synchronise.  A logical extension of this thorough the rest of the
simple cases might allow objects to be shared (or at least only renamed,
not renamed and munged).

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.