werror.h enriched with few more error code (DRSUAPI related)

Kamen Mazdrashki kamen.mazdrashki at postpath.com
Thu Sep 17 17:20:31 MDT 2009

Guenther, Jelmer,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 08:25, Guenther Deschner <gd at samba.org> wrote:
> Hi Kamen,
>
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 06:10:41AM +0300, Kamen Mazdrashki wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Attached is a list of patches to reformat werror.h file a little bit.
>> I've completed first part of my plan, which is (in short):
>> 1. Use only numeric values for error codes
>> 2. Use values in hex format (there are few exceptions) though
>> 3. Fix ambiguous error names
>>
>> What I plan to do next is:
>> 4. using a python script - extract all error codes published by MS
>> 5. Add errors that does not exist in werror.h to the file
>>
>> Next is code refactoring:
>> 6. Find out duplicate errors with different name. Refactor code base
>> to use the Generated WERR_ name.
>
> Ok, you should be able to proceed with 4.) now :-)

Here a list of patches to:
1. fix werror.h file - there were few errors with mistaken names
  Please look at comments in every patch for clarification
2. Generated error codes and their descriptions are merged into
werror.h and doserr.c files between placeholders (for future use)

Also, the python script was mainly rewritten - suddenly I realized
I am doing not so smart processing in the script, as I was
trying to replace error codes directly in werror.h and doserr.c
It is much more convenient just not to generate codes that already
exists, right :). So I did it.

Another good think about the script is now it is doing a lot
more verifications.
Verify new error codes generated do not collide with
previously defined error with same name, but different value
(this is reported as critical error).
Verify also if there are error codes with same name,
but different value - this led to patches to rename few errors.
Not so important verifications are also implemented.

Oh, one think I almost forgot about - currently the python
script extracts all error which names begin with:
['ERROR_', 'NERR_', 'FRS_', 'RPC_', 'EPT_', 'OR_', 'WAIT_TIMEOUT']
But only the 'ERROR_' prefix is replaced with 'WERR_' prefix.
The rest of errors are just prefixed with 'WERR_' and capitalized.

This leads to errors like: WERR_NERR_DCNOTFOUND (my favorite)
I know lots of people don’t think this is a good idea, but
I really do think it is the right thing to be done (mostly for
creating more clear code and for usability)

So, here is my favorite error - DC_NOT_FOUND error.
There are two erros:
ERROR_DC_NOT_FOUND and NERR_DCNotFound.
If we just merge them, we shall get:
WERR_DC_NOT_FOUND and WERR_DCNOTFOUND
If someone happens to need to return DCNotFound error,
which one should he/she use?
But in case we have:
WERR_DC_NOT_FOUND and WERR_NERR_DCNOTFOUND
I think there should be much less confusion which one is to be used
(and again, this improve autocompletion feature usability a lot)

BR,
Kamen Mazdrashki
kamen.mazdrashki at postpath.com
CISCO SYSTEMS BULGARIA EOOD