Wine, samba, and xattrs

Kai Blin kai.blin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 13:39:11 MDT 2009

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 18:49:37 Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Jeremy Allison<jra at samba.org> wrote:
> >> Hope you can dual-license those, or something.
> >> The Wine tree is by policy all LGPL v2.
> >
> > Why not LGPLv2 or later ? [L]GPLv2 is badly
> > broken as a license, many organizations believe
> > they have legal "workarounds" for it.

Actually, the code is LGPLv2 (or later).

> That's kind of off-topic for samba-technical, perhaps,
> but IIRC the last time that was proposed the conclusion
> was Wine has so many contributors that another
> license change without a forcing event is highly unlikely.

Given the (or later), there shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, if I
recall the discussion from last WineConf right, the consensus was "We'll deal
with that problem when it proves to be a problem." (Imagine a french accent)

In any case, Volker has a point. A rewrite of the glue code might be worth
it's while.

Cheers,
Kai
--