Samba PDC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 21 00:09:12 MDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 17:14 +0530, anjan.prasad at wipro.com wrote:
> Hi Volker,
>
> Would like to know what are the protocols used to authenticate Windows
> XP with Samba PDC. Like, specifically wants to know how the
> communication channel works when authenticating windows xp with Samba
> PDC.

That's still too broad a question, but at least it can be answered as:

Support for a XP domain member in Samba3 will use SAMR for setup, and
NETLOGON for authentication operations and other domain member tasks,
LSA for a few other things.

Support for an XP domain member in Samba4 will use LDAP, Kerberos,
NETLOGON, LSA and SAMR.

Perhaps if you can give a bit more information about why you want to
know this, we can in turn give better guidance as to the real answers
you seek.

Thanks,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.