A proposal for an MIT KDC for Samba4

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Oct 12 11:45:22 MDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 19:29 +0200, Ondrej Valousek wrote:
> 3. We are talking here about mixed networks with no native ADC. So
> right
> now you say freeIPA can coexist with Samba4 (with effectively two
> KDC's
> and two synchronized DS's) - taking into account that Samba4 is still
> highly experimental, this seems to me simply to crazy to be actually
> functional.

It can't yet, it will. We are finishing the exploration phase now, and
will start working on some code soon.
As for it being functional, while samba4 has still a lot of rough spots,
it has shown it can already serve windows clients in a single server
domain, and native replication has just been shown.
So if we keep it down to just the basics we are confident we can use
samba4 to make Windows clients use a single source of
identity/authentication.
We do not plan to support more exotic features like supporting exchange
deployments against our freeIPA+s4 domain controller.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce