Improved RPC-DSSYNC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 11 13:53:43 MST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 15:04 +0200, Kamen Mazdrashki wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 14:07, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > In addition to my unit tests, the dsdb-dn branch now also contains a
> > revived RPC-DSSYNC test that loads the schema from the remote server and
> > uses that to pull all the attributes into the LDAP format.  We then
> > verify that the pull was correct by comparison against the LDAP server
> > on the remote host.
>
> Sounds great!
>

> > However, currently the test is too slow to enable by default (it does
> > pass against Windows and Samba), partly because it tries to verify the
> > attribute IDs for every object.
>
> I've committed a patch for that (I wanted to enable DSSYNC test in 'make test',
> and it was really slow)
> http://repo.or.cz/w/Samba/kamenim.git/commit/9966595ac1a185b87f47ebd8ce3f651755060d34
>

> > However, as far as I can see in _drs_util_verify_attids(), the only
> > verification is done by eye - not by software.  Could we remove this
> > part of the test, now we actually use the remote schema?
> >
> Main purpose of _drs_util_verify_attids() is to verify decoded OID
> is real one - i.e. decoding ATTID based on drsuapi_prefixMap leads
> to an OID that actually exists.

Doesn't loading the schema already check that?  (If not, should we not
do the checks there?).

> So please, don't remove it.
> The cache i've implemented lowers execution time significantly.

And this cache is simply a duplicate of the schema we already load.  If
we must keep this code, then at least let us use the schema, which does
a binary, rather than a linear, search of the possible names.

But I still can't see how it validates anything extra.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.