Samba4 Full Active Directory Schema Issues?

Ido Mandril ido.mandril at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 21:05:32 GMT 2009

Dear Andrew and Samba4 Group Members

Does anyone know when Samba4 will include the Full Active Directory Schema?
According to Samba4/Andrew and Jelmers Fantasy Page (
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Andrew_and_Jelmers_Fantasy_Page) this
was plan for 14 March, but due to some issue with Microsoft this was
postpone to some unknown time frame.

My Questions are as follow:

1. What is the cause of the delay?
2. Don't we already have the Microsoft Schema Files? The Windows Server
Protocols (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc964399(PROT.10).aspx)
has very well documentation about the Active Directory classes and
attributes, So I don't get what is missing?
I'm sure you already know this, but aren't documents [MS-ADA1]: [MS-ADA2]:
[MS-ADA3]: [MS-ADLS]: [MS-ADSC] enough?
The only thing I could think about is that these papers have some errors or
mistakes, so this is what keeping us from having a Full Microsoft AD Schema
in samba4.

3. Googling the Samba4 Mailing List I found number of issues about the AD
Schema. I understood that a lot of work was already been done to support the
new Samba4 Schema. From what I read the Schema Files that exists in the GIT
Master Repository were generated from the PDF files i noted above. However
those files  is not yet implemented in the Alpha7 version and have no use at
the moment, so I wonder if anyone manage to used them to support what we
have so far? (50% of the Full Microsoft Schema, 60%,70% ...?).

4. Andrew has a private branch of the Samba4 development tree that seems to
deal with the implementation of the Full AD Schema. I download it, but
couldn't figure how to use it to have samba4 with the schema files we have
so far. Can someone provide help how to use this with OpenLDAP backed?

My last question is to provide some help to this cool project and to ask if
there is anything I can do to speed the Full Microsoft AD Schema support?
If so please let me know - I know my ways in openldap, C, C++, perl and
little bit python.

Thanks

Ido