Running master/Samba3 fails because of system talloc

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 24 22:56:27 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 23:42 +0100, Björn Jacke wrote:
> On 2009-03-24 at 20:57 +1100 Andrew Bartlett sent off:
> > Samba4 currently builds and runs fine for me, because when it fails to
> > link against system libraries, a static copy is used.
>
> this work fine as long as no library that we link against use the system
> talloc library. When this happens the name spaces of the old (shared) and of
> the new (static) talloc libs overlap and you get a mixture of both. With
> old/newer libtalloc you MAY be lucky that it works nevertheless, but maybe not.
>
> I've painfully seen these effects when I tried linking samba statically against
> Heimdal on an old RHEL system where the name spaces of system MIT and Heimdal
> overlapped this way. IMHO updating the system lib is the only reliable way to
> fix such things.

Then it seems we really are asking for trouble - the system libtalloc
cannot be removed without removing much of the desktop on Fedora 10, and
even more will depend on it in Fedora 11.  (And no, I'm not about to
manually upgrade the file outside RPM)

Isn't symbol versioning meant to take care of this problem?  (I'm sure
it was used like this for allowing MIT and Heimdal to co-exist)

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.