Running master/Samba3 fails because of system talloc

Björn Jacke bj at SerNet.DE
Tue Mar 24 22:42:54 GMT 2009

On 2009-03-24 at 20:57 +1100 Andrew Bartlett sent off:
> Samba4 currently builds and runs fine for me, because when it fails to
> link against system libraries, a static copy is used.

this work fine as long as no library that we link against use the system
talloc library. When this happens the name spaces of the old (shared) and of
the new (static) talloc libs overlap and you get a mixture of both. With
old/newer libtalloc you MAY be lucky that it works nevertheless, but maybe not.

I've painfully seen these effects when I tried linking samba statically against
Heimdal on an old RHEL system where the name spaces of system MIT and Heimdal
overlapped this way. IMHO updating the system lib is the only reliable way to
fix such things.

Cheers
Björn
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9