messages.tdb growing to 4GB (4294971392 bytes)

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Jun 4 12:28:50 GMT 2009

Hi Volker,

It may be worth mentioning that Ronnie found a bug in tdb_traverse
recently where it fails when the tdb is more than 2G in
size. tdb_traverse_internal() does this:

	while ((ret = tdb_next_lock(tdb, tl, &rec)) > 0)

where ret is a signed integer and tdb_next_lock() returns a file
offset.

So it doesn't explain why the file got to 2G, but once over 2G we
could get some pretty weird behaviour for any user that does a
traverse.

.... then again, I don't see where we would ever do a traverse of
messages.tdb.

Cheers, Tridge