Python scripts on SAMBA4 - Alpha 8

MICHAEL BROWN mbrown at mesainc.com
Wed Jul 29 13:33:28 MDT 2009

> I do have some other questions, if you don't mind:
>
> *) Is it possible, at this time, to compile SAMBA 4 to use SSL binding for LDAP calls to AD?

>>That should work fine.  I'll shortly remove an unnecessary restriction
>>avoiding GnuTLS > 2.6.

What are the specific compile options within SAMBA 4 - alpha 8 to get this compiled for SSL?

> *) How is the SAMBA team progressing on back-end replication for SAMBA 4 AD?

>>This can be answered in two different ways, depending on what you are
>>after:

>>We can use OpenLDAP for replication.  This makes the whole replication
>>problem 'someone else's problem'.  The downside is that we are not as
>>closely tied to our database, and so some aspects of the operation are
>>not emulated as well (in particular we don't have transactions, so if
>>things go wrong, we can't assume an auto-cleanup).

>>We are also working on DRSUAPI replication, to replicate against
>>windows.  We have an inbound 'vampire' working for a demo, but there is
>>still work to do.

Is the DRSUAPI portion a separate piece of code outside of the SAMBA code base?  Meaning, is this a compilable option
available in the existing, or somewhere, to test possible SAMBA 4 to SAMBA 4 replica at this time?

>>When we implement a DRSUAPI server, then we will have native
>>Samba4->Samba4 replication.

Please don't take this the wrong way but how is the development road-map on this piece?  Meaning,
if not much attention is focused on DRSUAPI/replication, and it could take another 6 months, or longer,
I may just start looking into going pure OpenLDAP back-end, if that piece is a viable solution.

Thanks!

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.