Python scripts on SAMBA4 - Alpha 8

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jul 27 19:05:07 MDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 09:12 -0500, MICHAEL BROWN wrote:
> Jelmer,
> I gave up trying to compile SAMBA 4 to work with Python on SLES 9 using alpha 8.
> Nothing I did would ever work.  SLES 10 works fine but SLES 9 does not.  However, I did
> get SLES 9 to work on an earlier release but it just became so frustrating to work on
> SLES 9 trying to test SAMBA 4 in preparing everything so that it would work within our
> "test" production environment.  What I do now is run SLES 10 AD servers and join
> SAMBA 3, running on SLES 9, to SAMBA 4.  This works very well for us because all of
> our production servers are SLES 9 at this time.  I can live with upgrading a couple just
> for replication, etc., when it's ready.
>
> I do have some other questions, if you don't mind:
>
> *) Is it possible, at this time, to compile SAMBA 4 to use SSL binding for LDAP calls to AD?

That should work fine.  I'll shortly remove an unnecessary restriction
avoiding GnuTLS > 2.6.

> *) How is the SAMBA team progressing on back-end replication for SAMBA 4 AD?

This can be answered in two different ways, depending on what you are
after:

We can use OpenLDAP for replication.  This makes the whole replication
problem 'someone else's problem'.  The downside is that we are not as
closely tied to our database, and so some aspects of the operation are
not emulated as well (in particular we don't have transactions, so if
things go wrong, we can't assume an auto-cleanup).

We are also working on DRSUAPI replication, to replicate against
windows.  We have an inbound 'vampire' working for a demo, but there is
still work to do.

When we implement a DRSUAPI server, then we will have native
Samba4->Samba4 replication.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.