[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - release-4-0-0alpha8-154-g826ee30

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Jul 1 21:20:21 GMT 2009

Hi Simo,

 > talloc is beinf distributed as a DSO in both fedora debian and ubuntu.
 > By changing the ABI you make it impossible to upgrade to the next
 > version of talloc. It will be a bloodbath.
 > It will require a soname bump and to recompile all applications that
 > depend on talloc.
 >
 > Please let's avoid this.

arrrrgh. We had a BUG in talloc, ok. A BUG!!

Are soname numbers are so darn precious now that we can't fix bugs?

That bug led to a number of real bugs in our codebase. Those bugs are
now fixed thanks to this change. The openchange guys may well have
bugs due to the same type of problems. I would have thought they would
be really pleased by a bugfix in upstream talloc that will find bugs
in their code.

Just up the darn soname number. It's not as though we're running out
of them!

If our approach to building of shared libs from the Samba libs can't
support bug fixes then the approach is broken. We should not keep bugs
in our code in order to avoid the cost of a few kbytes of disk space
when someone next updates openchange.

Cheers, Tridge