[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - release-4-0-0alpha8-154-g826ee30

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Jul 1 11:27:26 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 21:15 +1000, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Hi Simo,
>
>  > this set of patches completely break the talloc ABI and changes the
>  > behavior in ways that will break any application using
>  > talloc_reference()
>
> It only breaks already broken code. Nearly all the places I had to fix
> in Samba4 and Samba3 were places that already had clear bugs. Many of
> them were memory leaks, and others were logic bugs. All of them were
> bad misuses of the API and relied on ambiguous behaviour.
>
> Can you point at a valid use of the API in Samba that is broken by
> this change?

Tridge, I said ABI with the B, as in 'Binary'.

talloc is beinf distributed as a DSO in both fedora debian and ubuntu.
By changing the ABI you make it impossible to upgrade to the next
version of talloc. It will be a bloodbath.
It will require a soname bump and to recompile all applications that
depend on talloc.

Please let's avoid this.

Simo.

--