Unable to join a domain with windows 7 beta1

Jouko Markkanen jouko+news at markkanen.net
Tue Jan 13 19:17:41 GMT 2009

>> What is the error message it gives ?
> unfortunalty I didn't notice the error code. After that I broke my system as
> I tried to update to the latest version of samba4 from Debian experimental
> and I'm not able to reproduce the error right now.
> I have no time to investigate further atm but as soon as I have some free
> time I will try to repair my s4 install and redo the tests with win7.

I have the same problem too, maybe I can provide some additional 

First, about the environment:
I ran into it while trying to join a Win7 beta (build 7000)  clien to 
the samba 3.0 domain I'm running at home, and recreated the same 
situation with a clean lab environment. I tried first with an Ubuntu 
8.04 and distro provided samba packages (3.0.28) and then with Ubuntu 
8.10 and it's samba 3.2.3. The server is running in the same subnet (ie. 
broadcast domain) as the Win7 client.

What happens:
When I try to join the domain, windows asks for domain admin 
credentials, which I enter. Then it pauses for a while, and gives an 
error: "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain 
"TESTDOM": The specified domain either does not exist or could not be 

What I've tried:
The error message gave an idea that there is something wrong with name 
resolution. This, however does not seem to be the problem. nbtstat -c 
shows correct entries for <1B> and <1C> name type for the domain (with 
the samba server's ip). I even tried to put them to LMHOSTS as #PRE and 
enable LMHOSTS lookups (or it was enabled by default), and added the 
DC's name entry too, but that didn't help.
By capturing packets on the network (I couldn't open Olivier's dump as I 
don't have wireshark/pcap installed on the laptop I'm currenlty on) I 
could see that windows starts with a DNS query for AD ldap server (SRV 
record), and get's a negative response from DNS. Then it does the NBT 
name resolution, and gets answered. After that it does a SMB logon 
request (to both the samba server's unicast as well as subnet broadcast 
addresses) with null username, and gets "user unknown" response. After 
that, it does a SMB logon request using WIN7$ username (the computer's 
hostname is WIN7), and gets a success. Then it starts all over from the 
DNS query and goes thru all for the second time, and stops.

I have also tried the FAQ replies for how to join a Vista client 
(allowing NTLMv1), but that didn't help (althought I haven't needed 
those with vista clients either with current samba versions).

- J

More information about the samba-technical mailing list