olc/mmr-patches

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 24 03:37:53 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 10:52 +0100, Oliver Liebel wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett schrieb:

> >> sorry, i am not very familiar with git.
> >>

> > Ahh, that makes more sense now.
> >
> > How have you been checking out Samba4 for your testing?
> >
> > Anyway, for an introduction to git see:
> > http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_Git_for_Samba_Development
> >
> > The branch to checkout is 'master'.
> >

> >> the complete patch includes 2 diffs and about 12 config/ldif files.
> >> do i have to run the command above for every single file?
> >>

> > The basic pattern once you have a local git checkout is:
> >
> > git add <all new and changed files for this commit>
> > git commit
> > (then provide a commit message)
> >
> > repeat for each commit you wish to create
> >
> > Then run git format-patch -3 (if you created 3 commits)
> >
> > Mail me the result.
> >

> >> the only output i get when running "git format-patch" is:
> >>
> >> error: object directory /data/git/samba.git/objects does not exist;
> >> check .git/objects/info/alternates.
> >> fatal: bad object HEAD
> >>

> > Yeah, that's because you are not in a git checkout.
> >
> > If it's all too much then I'll happily do it for you, but I wanted to
> > give you the chance to set up properly, so we can both work more easily
> > in future.
> >
> thanks for your quick response.
> because i am running out of time with other projects at the moment, it
> would be
> really the best (for this time) if you could apply my patches and diffs
> in the
> right way. i promise, will upgrade my git-knowledge later, when i have more
> time ;-)

No worries.  I've committed the patch with some of your earlier message
as commit message.

What we are missing at the moment however are tests.  We need to detect
in configure if we have the right version of OpenLDAP, and to then to do
a provision-backend (at the very least) as part of 'make test'.   As the
saying goes: untested code is broken code (and if not broken now, it
will break as time moves forward)

Also let me know if there are additional changes you need made from the
patch I've committed (you had some small fixes as I recall)

http://samba.org/~abartlet/