olc-conversion update

Oliver Liebel oliver at itc.li
Sun Feb 22 14:56:05 MST 2009

Andrew Bartlett schrieb:
>  On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 10:04 +0100, Oliver Liebel wrote:
>
>> hi andrew
>>
>> following some information-updates regarding the olc-conversion
>> extensions in the
>> provision-backend  - script:
>>

>>> at last theres one thing i am not really happy with:
>>> in case of mmr-setup with olc-conversion, the olcServerIDs
>>> contains some trailing garbage characters after
>>> conversion is done. i tried several things to get the urls "cleaned up";
>>> but the chars still remains. although it doesnt seem to have
>>> an impact on the replication,
>>> i have filed it to openldap-technical.
>>>
>> this is now fixed in 2.4.14  (ITS#5897).
>>

> OK.  Thanks for all your efforts here.
>

>>> i [...] made the experience that in some cases the syncprov container
>>> is not created properly,
>>> if syncprov is used more then once. i didnt had the time over the last
>>> weeks to test and reproduce this
>>> behaviour under all circumstances, so i created this small workaround.
>>> i will try to reproduce it later - for now the olc-setup is working.
>>>
>> i have tested and verified it. Howard told me, that this was fixed in 2.4.9
>> and subsequently broken again in 2.4.13. he just fixed it again in CVS,
>> and it will be fixed in 2.4.15.
>>

> Any idea when 2.4.15 is due out, or if there are major distributions
> that have packaged (and will stick to) 2.5.14?

i think 2.4.15 will be not so far away. but most distributions,
even the newest versions, are normally shipped with older openldap-releases,
so the best practice (for now) would be to strongly recommend always to
use the latest
openldap version (>= 2.4.15, when out) and compile it from the scratch,
as this setup is the only way
to exclude side effects, which  surely will appear in conjunction with
older openldap versions.

considering the fixes made in 2.4.15, i think it would be the best to
apply and push the
olc-conversion-changes, when 2.4.15 is out. in this case, we can
remove the workaround for olcSyncprovConfig (in cn=config).

what do you think?

another point:
i found one little bug in the latest version of the provision.py script
that i have commited to you,
it will display the wrong help-parameter, when using  mmr without olc:

lines: 1457 + 1458

-        if ol_olc != "yes" and ol_mmr_urls is not None:
-          slapdcommand="Start slapd with:    slapd -F " + paths.ldapdir + "/slapd.conf -h \"" + ldapi_uri + " ldap://<FQHN>:<PORT>\""

should be:

+        if ol_olc != "yes" and ol_mmr_urls is not None:
+          slapdcommand="Start slapd with:    slapd -f " + paths.ldapdir + "/slapd.conf -h \"" + ldapi_uri + " ldap://<FQHN>:<PORT>\""

(should be "-f"  instead of "-F" in the sladpcommand-line)

greetings
oliver