Python and Samba and LDAP and ntSecurityDescriptor

Zahari Zahariev zahari.zahariev at postpath.com
Fri Feb 20 07:25:30 MST 2009

Hello Samba4 & Andrew,

I have a problem with setting a custom ntSecurityDescriptor to a user I
create within a unittest similar to those in
source4/lib/ldb/tests/python/ldap.py. I use ldb.add({}) that is being
initialized via LDAP to the running Sanba server at the moment. As far
as we talked with Jelmer he explained that I can do this with ndr_pack
of a security descriptor object so I provided the add method with key
and value for the security descriptor along the other stuff you will
need to create user ldp.add({..., 'ntSecurityDescriptor' :
ndr_pack(descriptor_object)}). This is the way I create user but
unfortunately when I try to read it also through LDAP the
ntSecurityDescriptor cannot ndr_unpack() it returns a 'Buffer error'. It
is different when I have the descriptor generated for me (I do not put
it in ldp.add({})) in this ca when I try to read it also using LDAP it
has nor problem with ndr_unpack(). So my assumption is that I do
something wrong sending it via LDAP ti Samba4.

Can you give me some clues where do I go wrong and that could be the
other ways that I can achieve setting a custom descriptor for any user I
want to create via LDAP or LDAP is not the way?

Thank you!