[RFC] To make libsmbclient work for DFS shares for samba3

boyang boyang at suse.de
Tue Feb 17 08:02:27 MST 2009

Derrell Lipman wrote:

> Hi. I've looked only briefly at your patch. Thanks for working on this!
>
> There is one significant problem with the patch which makes it
> difficult to include as is: you've modified the API/ABI with the
> signature change of smbc_set_credentials(). It looks like the change
> you made possibly should have been there all along, but I'd like to
> look into alternatives to changing the signature.
If we want to keep the API untact, we can use another function to set
fallback_after_kerberos. The question here is that I don't know if any
applications have used smbc_set_credentials(), it there is no, we can
safely change it. But if there is, we might have to use another function
to set fallback_after_kerberos. :-) But this have to be called in order,
smbc_set_credentials() first, and then set fallback_after_kerberos to
avoid surprise.

> Also, there are numerous calls to your new wrapper function. When I
> get some time to look into this, I'll see if maybe that functionality
> can be merged into the generic code in libsmb_server.c instead of
> spread throughout the library.
It cannot be merged into SMBC_server alone, if this is what you mean.
Because some SMBC_XXX_ctx function don't call SMBC_server() before call
cli_resolve_path(). Maybe it is possible to merge it in
SMBC_parse_path() and SMBC_server().

> I may not get to this right away. If you'd like to look into the above
> two issues, that'd be great. It looks like the changes to the core
> (non-libsmbclient) code are fairly unobtrusive, but I suspect Jeremy
> will comment on those if there are any issues.
>

>           BTW: the Makefile under examples/libsmbclient seems broken,
>     missing some libraries. I can toggle it to build, __BUT__ I am really
>     not sure which ones are missed. :-)
>

> Please provide details. I use that Makefile all the time for my
> testing and have no issues, but I'm testing only under Linux. What OS
> are you using, and what issues are you seeing?
I am using Linux too. It is linking error, some functions that is used
by libsmbclient are not found.(I cannot remember them exactly, one looks
like related to dictionary parse, and one looks like something in zlib,
several others...). I added "-lrt -liniparser -lnsl  -lz -lcap
-lcom_err" to LDFLAGS to make it work.