[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated -release-4-0-0alpha6-806-gd8c54fd

Steven Danneman steven.danneman at isilon.com
Thu Feb 12 11:40:09 MST 2009

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 09:39:30PM -0600, Steven Danneman wrote:
> > commit d8c54fddda2dba3cbc5fc13e93431b152813892e
> > Author: Dan Sledz <dsledz at isilon.com>
> > Date:   Tue Feb 10 15:50:39 2009 -0800
> >
> >     s3: Change behavior when seeing an unknown domain.
> >
> >     After a lot of testing against various Windows servers (W2K,
> W2K3, W2K8),
> >     within an AD domain it seems that unknown domains will only be
> translated
> >     to the local account domain, not the netbios name of the member
> server's
> >     domain.  This makes samba act more like Windows.
>
> This one has caused a great deal of discussion in the past.
> I'm with you on the semantics, but at the point where this was
> discussed I eventually gave up pushing it through. I don't want to
stir
> up old stories again, but all who had stakes in this might want to
> speak up again.
>
> And -- can you please next time make one reformatting patch and one
> semantics changing patch out of this? Or better:
> Don't do reformatting at all...

Hey Volker,

Agreed, this patch is a modified (and more educated) version of the
patch I submitted to do the same thing back in Sep 2007
(http://www.nabble.com/Mapping-workstation%5Cuser-to-domain%5Cuser-incor
rectly--td12808573.html#a12808573) and I know there was more discussion
before that.

I can say that Isilon has been running with this patch for the last 1.5
years on all customer sites AND this is the demonstrable behavior of
Windows in all of our testing.

I concede that some people may be relying on this behavior and would be
willing to parameterize it with the default to Windows behavior if
there's strong dissension?

On the cleanup, yes you're right I'll separate them into different
patches next time.

-Steven