Is there a Memory Leak in Samba 3.4.3?

Diego Remolina diego.remolina at physics.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 17 08:30:33 MST 2009

I am not sure if it is related, but I have found problems when updating
from 3.3.9 to 3.4.3 so we have gone back to 3.3.9.

Using the exact same configuration on 3.3.9, my users can connect to
shares and get their roaming profiles (using Windows XP, Vista and 7).

As soon as we update to 3.4.3, connecting to shares still works, but
when a user tries to log in and their roaming profile is in the order of
hundreds of MB in size containing a high amount of individual files, the
profile fails to copy to the client machines and we start seeing errors
such as:

On the clients (hostname.log)
Too many open files, unable to open more!  smbd's max open files = 1024

I am not 100% sure if the other one was either in smbd.log or
winbind.log, but it was an error about not being able to open the log
file for the machine (hostname.log) because it had reached the max open
files as well. Unfortunately, I no longer have the log entries from
winbind.log nor smbd.log from when we tried the update to copy paste the
entries here.

[root at phys-file01 samba]# uname -a
Linux phys-file01.physics.gatech.edu 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Oct
27 11:28:30 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

snip from smb.conf for the machine
--------------------------------
[global]
         workgroup = AD
         netbios name = phys-file
         #netbios aliases = phys-fileserver
         realm = AD.GATECH.EDU
         preferred master = no
         domain master = no
         local master = no
         server string = Samba Server Version %v
         security = ads
         encrypt passwords = yes
         invalid users = root @wheel
         interfaces = lo bond0

         #log level = 1 winbind:3
         log level = 3
         log file = /export/data/var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 100

         #use kerberos keytab = true

         # IDMAP backend
         idmap backend = tdb