Is there a Memory Leak in Samba 3.4.3?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Dec 17 14:00:43 MST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:30:33AM -0500, Diego Remolina wrote:
> I am not sure if it is related, but I have found problems when updating
> from 3.3.9 to 3.4.3 so we have gone back to 3.3.9.
>
> Using the exact same configuration on 3.3.9, my users can connect to
> shares and get their roaming profiles (using Windows XP, Vista and 7).
>
> As soon as we update to 3.4.3, connecting to shares still works, but
> when a user tries to log in and their roaming profile is in the order of
> hundreds of MB in size containing a high amount of individual files, the
> profile fails to copy to the client machines and we start seeing errors
> such as:
>
> On the clients (hostname.log)
> Too many open files, unable to open more!  smbd's max open files = 1024

This is bug #6837 - "Too many open files" when trying to access large
number of files

I've fixed it in master and 3.5.0, and am waiting for it to be
back ported for 3.4.4.

In the meantime you can set:

"max open files = 16404"

in the [global] section of your smb.conf and this will fix
the problem.

Jeremy.