Patch for supporting controls in ldbadd/ldbmodify and ldbdel

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Dec 15 07:31:55 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 16:17 +0200, Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:
> Hi Simo,
> ldb_modify_ctrl is very simple and the only difference between it and
> ldb_modify is that it accepts controls. ldb_modify makes a request
> with NULL controls, so there ir little difference. I don't know if you
> looked at the code, but the change is minor indeed, and it really
> helps with code readability. If you insist I will revert it, but i am
> strongly against that, given the fact that it does not interfere with
> the current interface in any way and makes it easier to write requests
> with controls. I discussed the change with Tridge before pushing it,
> he didnt see a problem...

Yes, I've read the code, I am not opposed to the code itself, but to
putting it into the standard ldb. Yet another public API to care about,
that's the problem. Ldb is already full of one off functions, I am not
thrilled to add more "wrappers" to functionality readily available
through existing interfaces.

The normal ldb_add/ldb_delete/etc... functions are simple on purpose and
have been maintained for compatibility and to give a quick access to
newcomers. But we added ldb_request as the only API to care about for
more complex requests.

If you need/like wrappers, that's fine, but they should not be in
common/ldb.c but rather in some ldb-utils.c file available to the samba4
code you want to use them from.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce