ntlm_auth returns different answers based on smb / winbindd start order?

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Fri Dec 4 03:51:58 MST 2009

  This was reported to me off of the Samba list.  We're using ntlm_auth
to do MS-CHAP authentication to AD.  Administrators are having odd
issues authenticating with ntlm_auth.

* An ntlm_auth --username=whatever and then giving a password
returns NT_STATUS_OK: Success (0x0).

* An incorrect password returns NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD, as expected

* taking a username, challenge and nt response from an MS-CHAP session
testing on the command line returns an NT key

* Starting winbindd before smbd returns one NT key,

* Starting smbd before winbindd returns a *different* NT key

... for the same username / challenge / NT response from above.

  Starting smbd before winbindd returns the correct NT key.  Starting
them in the opposite order returns an incorrect NT key.

  Any ideas as to what's going wrong?  I would prefer that ntlm_auth
returns an error instead of a bad NT key.  Returning a bad NT key makes
the admin believe that everything is working.  But the user keeps
getting failed MS-CHAP authentication, even when they use the correct
password.

  Alan DeKok.