RFCs, Debian and Samba build dependencies

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Dec 1 08:19:16 MST 2009

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 08:36 +0100, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> > Hi Christian,
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 07:10:19AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > > Please find below the text of the original bug report we got about
> > > this (we got a similar bug report for samba 3, as it carries some
> > > samba4 sources).
> >
> > the RFCs are removed by the create-tarball script for s3. So this
> > shouldn't be a problem in s3 tarballs any longer.
>
> Fortunately we are now agreed to remove source4 entirely from Samba 3.5
> releases, so it should not be a problem that it won't build without
> them :-)

Er, somehow I must have missed that discussion and the agreement. :-)

For 3.4 we decided to leave it included.

For 3.5 I just noticed your mail where you asked that the
source4 tree should not be advertised in the release or even removed
from the sources. That mail has somehow slipped my attention.
But I have not seen any answer to that mail yet.
I really don't mind discussing it again at all, but claiming that we
already agreed seems a bit daring to me.  ,-)

Note that the merged build is disabled by default in the 3.5 branch.
Also, the presence of the source4 tree is not advertised at all.

The samba4-build is not possible in 3.5. But the presence of the
source4-tree gives the user a means to easily build a smbtorture4
and to play a bit with the merged build. I don't know what's so
bad about it.

Cheers - Michael