PATCH: revamped catia

Thu Aug 27 01:56:50 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 04:39:48PM -0700, Tim Prouty wrote:
> The default behavior is a bit different, and a new VFS op has been
> added, so I wanted to run it by the list before pushing it.  Since
> it's not even built without a manual configure.in change, I'm guessing
> it's not used very frequently so I'm hoping changing the default
> behavior is OK.

For the catia module part, I'm fine with that. I wrote that
ages ago for a specific customer and haven't really looked
at it since then.

> Additonally, since a catia mapping can map from a single byte
> character to a multi-byte character, the directory enumeration code
> needs to be able to handle allocated strings rather than the
> statically sized ones in the dirent struct.  This was the motivation
> for introducing the SMB_VFS_TRANSLATE_NAME call.

I'm a bit worried about performance in the default case
here. In a recent little profiling I've done, the
for example smb_filename code showed up quite high in the
callgrind statistics. This is nothing I can back with hard
data yet, but is there a way this can be done without
penalty in the case where this is not used?

Volker