Is there a reason to have source4 in 3.4 releases?

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Thu Aug 20 01:35:17 MDT 2009

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 03:58:55PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> This is what worries me.   We are about to make a Samba 3.4.1 release,
> but the while the Samba3 and common code in that directory is a solid
> production release, the Samba4 code is just what happened to be in the
> tree at the time it was branched.
>
> That's why I would like it removed from the Samba3 tarball.

I think removing the samba4 sources is not possible, because it was
explicitly announced in the release notes:

-----8<------------------snip--------------8<--------------
General Changes
===============

On the way towards a standalone Samba AD domain controller, Samba3 and
Samba4
branches can be built as "merged" build. That's why Samba3 and Samba4
sources
are included in the tarball. The merged build is possible in Samba 3.4.0,
but
disabled by default. To learn more about the merged build,
please see http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Franky.

According to this one, there is no "source" directory included in the
tarball at
all. Samba3 sources are located in "source3", Samba4 sources are located
in
"source4". The libraries have been moved to the toplevel directory.

To build plain Samba3, please change to "source3" and start the build as
usual.
To build Samba4 as well, please use the "--enable-merged-build" configure
option.
----->8------------------snap-------------->8--------------

As 3.4.1 is a Samba3 release and the Standalone AD controller is not in a
stable state, I think it's no problem to ship an outdated Samba4 version
in that particular Samba 3 release series. Of course, I do understand your
point of view.

Is there a chance to sync the current Samba4 sources to the v3-4-test
branch? Or would that break something?

Cheers,
Karolin

--