Is there a reason to have source4 in 3.4 releases?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 19 23:58:55 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 03:37 +0000, Timur I. Bakeyev wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 09:06:51PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Since Samba 3.4 has been released, I've now seen two different enquires
> > where folks have expected to find a 'released' version of Samba4 in the
> > 3.4 tarball.
> >
> > Is there any reason for the source4 tree to be released in Samba 3.4
> > releases?  Users of Samba4 from that branch are only going to be
> > disappointed (as it is will be an increasingly older snapshot), and the
> > work for 'Franky' and other combined tree efforts is occouring in
> > master, not the 3.4 release tree.
>
> As the (sorta) end user I saw source4/ as a snapshot of Samba4 code,
> occasionally - more fresh than Samba4.0.0alpha7 (that's when I was
> trying it), but now older, than alpha8. I guess, it can create confusion
> for average user regarding "freshness" of the code and it's position
> in the source tree regarding releases.

This is what worries me.   We are about to make a Samba 3.4.1 release,
but the while the Samba3 and common code in that directory is a solid
production release, the Samba4 code is just what happened to be in the
tree at the time it was branched.

That's why I would like it removed from the Samba3 tarball.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.