talloc patches

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Fri Aug 14 04:48:13 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 19:46 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Stefan (metze) Metzmacher schrieb:
> > Hi Tridge,
> >
> >>  > See the top 3 commits here (the others have nothing to do with this
> >>  > discussion):
> >>  > http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master4-talloc-metze-3
> >>
> >> The logging patches look good, thanks, although it might be worth
> >> adding a static varargs helper function that wraps the
> >> talloc_asprintf() calls in the future, just for neatness. Either that
> >> or expose it as a varargs as you suggested.
> >
> > I'll change that.
> >
> >> Maybe also make the talloc_abort() calls use the logging function?
> >
> > correct.
> >
> >> The talloc_steal change is also OK as although it is ambiguous, at
> >> least we get a warning.
>
> Here's my current branch I'm proposing for master:
>
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master4-talloc-metze-ready
>
> Comments please!
> (I'll not push it until I've acks from all who participate in the
> discussion)

I am sorry I have no time today to make a deep re-evaluation, right now,
and next week I'll be on vacation.

However, from what I can see, I think your patches are agreeable.

The only thing I think really *must* be done before pushing them is to
correct the talloc guide document and make it very clear how
talloc_reference() is supposed to be used now.
Mention the logging functions and how they should be used.
And in general update anything that is not accurate anymore.

Simo.