talloc patches

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Aug 13 01:04:17 MDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 03:16:42 am Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Stefan (metze) Metzmacher schrieb:
> > Hi Tridge,
> >
> >>  > See the top 3 commits here (the others have nothing to do with this
> >>  > discussion):
> >>  > http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master4-talloc-metze-3
> >>
> >> The logging patches look good, thanks, although it might be worth
> >> adding a static varargs helper function that wraps the
> >> talloc_asprintf() calls in the future, just for neatness. Either that
> >> or expose it as a varargs as you suggested.
> >
> > I'll change that.
> >
> >> Maybe also make the talloc_abort() calls use the logging function?
> >
> > correct.
> >
> >> The talloc_steal change is also OK as although it is ambiguous, at
> >> least we get a warning.
>
> Here's my current branch I'm proposing for master:
>
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master4-talloc-metze-ready

Hi Stefan!

I really like these patches (esp. the dump on NULL fix!).  Two minor comments:

"talloc: call return after abort, because an overloaded abort function might
 not exit"

I really dislike the idea that an abortfn might not abort.  For testing we can
use setjmp/longjmp.

"talloc: add talloc_set_log_fn() and talloc_set_log_stderr()"

I prefer exposing talloc_log_stderr() as a helper; makes it easier if you want
to simply wrap it.

As I said, both very minor.

Thanks,
Rusty.