OpenLDAP with Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 9 06:57:57 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 08:40 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > One Quick Question I have is as follow:
> > I have being using Bind9 and the DHCP3 Server for quite some time now.
> > In my own configuration I use OpenLDAP as a the back end for the DHCP server
> > and for the Bind9
> > It is working great, and give me a lot of flexibly in changing the DHCP
> > scope, add new hosts to the Bind and even do DDNS for my leased hosts.
> > While installing Samba4 with OpenLDAP Backend (version 2.4.15) , I add a new
> > Database suffix, set the database indexes, permission and the schema file
> > for this database.
>
> Are you setting it up in slapd.conf but Samba configured cn=config
> (config backend)?  There isn't any reason multiple databases/roots
> shouldn't work.

But I really don't see a good reason why it should be made to work.  Is
the cost of a seperate slapd process really that much that you want to
mix in that schema with the AD schema, but not put them in a common
directory?

I could see a lot of sense if you wanted it to appear into AD, but that
does not seem to be your aim.