Common code into source/ or toplevel? (Re: Suggested "combined tree" conditions for success)

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Mon Sep 15 07:52:59 GMT 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 09:25:53 Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> I'd propose to move them to source/, to that all 3 ways of building
> code in the master branch have the same weight. I assume have the magic
> of the combined build in the top level directory would give more weight
> to the most experimental way of building samba.

Hm, I actually liked the idea of being able to build from the top dir, instead
of having to cd into the source/ dir. We could get started on moving the
tests from the various test dirs closer to the code they test and clean up
there as well if clutter in the root dir is an issue.

My proposal is to have a Makefile in the root dir and have that build s3
on "make samba3", s4 on "make samba4" and franky on "make franky". I'm open
for suggestions on what should fall out of the tree on a plain "make". :)

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin