[RFC] Suggested "combined tree" for easier development and Franky integration.

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Mon Sep 8 08:22:10 GMT 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008 09:59:49 Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Kai Blin schrieb:
> > On Saturday 06 September 2008 21:32:24 Volker Lendecke wrote:

> >> Find the newly converted trees on
> >>
> >> http://git.samba.org/?p=vl/samba.git/.git;a=summary
> >
> > And the newly generated merge tree at:
> > http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=kai/samba/franky.git;a=summary
> >
> > If people are fine with this tree, I'd propose we switch development to
> > this tree.
>
> There's more work to do before we can switch over...
>
> 1. we need to make v4-0-test and v3-devel readonly
>    update the sX-rename branches and to the merge again.

Hm, good point.

> 2. should be merged branch be named 'master'?

This seems to be the convention for the main branch of git repositories, which
is why I decided to keep that.

> 3. we need to update the build-farm scripts to
>    use source3 and source4

As an interrim solution, yes.

Looking at this, I figure that once we agree to switch to this tree, the
actual changeover work will be doable in a couple of hours, provided we don't
have to run the full filter-branch thing again, in which case it'll take a
day or so. But as we can't freeze the v3-devel and v4-0-test branches without
having agreed to switch to the combined tree, we need to decide about this
first.

I'm just saying that this is what the tree is going to look like and that I'm
looking forward to use the new setup.

Cheers,
Kai

--