[RFC] Suggested "combined tree" for easier development and Franky integration.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Sep 6 13:12:41 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 17:17 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> at the last Franky meeting, we realized that our current attempt at creating a
> combined Samba3/Samba4 build using git submodules was clumsy and fragile.
>
> So we came up with a combined tree solution to address this issue.
> Incidentally, this combined tree might be useful before we get the integrated
> build sorted out already.

> So while I don't propose to go live with this setup right now, I'm hoping for
> some feedback on the general approach. The incredible advantage of this is
> that (Franky considerations aside) code that is shared between Samba3 and
> Samba4 can be pulled out of the source3/4 dirs and needs to be updated only
> once instead of twice. So even though this looks like "yet one more branch"
> right now, it will mean less branches to check things in in the long and even
> in the medium term. Also, instead of having to get a separate Samba4 branch
> to run smbtorture tests with Samba3, you just need to build source4 once, and
> not change the repo.

I really see a lot of value in this, if we can make this the new 'devel'
branch, and get Samba3 and Samba4 releases from the once place.

Having source code shared, rather than backported, should be much less
work in the long term (but will no doubt be a right pain in the short
term, we can't sustain what we have been doing).

I look forward to further progress on this.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.