[RFC] Suggested "combined tree" for easier development and Franky integration.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 10 03:14:24 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 17:17 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> at the last Franky meeting, we realized that our current attempt at
> creating a
> combined Samba3/Samba4 build using git submodules was clumsy and
> fragile.

> In the end, we found a solution that preserved the history across the merge
> for a small one-time migration effort. Using some fancy git magic (git
> filter-branch, in case you're interested), Volker created a Samba3 branch
> that had all commits since the beginning use "source3/" instead of "source/",
> and then repeated the same for a Samba4 branch. I then merged those two
> branches using some more git magic Jelmer and I had discovered on Wednesday
> (I'll describe the whole process in another email for people interested in
> this) and uploaded the combined branches to git.samba.org [1].

The rename seems to have had some casualties, as a number of the
blackbox test scripts in testprogs/blackbox presume that Samba4 can be
found under source, not source4.

This is hardly a blocker, but I wanted it noted, so we can get it fixed
once this becomes the real deal.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.