[RFC] i18n/l10n pam_winbind for samba 3.x

boyang boyang at suse.de
Tue Oct 28 04:28:45 GMT 2008

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:40:17AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
>
>> Quoting boyang (boyang at suse.de):
>>
>>> Hi, everybody:
>>>      Does it deserve to i18n/l10n pam_winbind so that error messages and
>>> warnings that will be seen by user is i18n/l10ned, which makes samba
>>> more user-friendly.
>>>
>> I personnally think that any kind of i18n work in samba would be
>> welcome..:-)
>>
>> Contrary to a wwell established legend, not all sysadmins are very
>> fluent in English and decent localization of software and
>> documentation is always a great enhancement.
>>
>> When it comes at samba, I see some places where i18n would be needed:
>>
>> - interactive commands: mostly 'net'. I seem to remember that some
>>   people mentioned they were working on it, back in Spring
>>
>> - pam_winbind maybe, as you mention
>>

> I'm happy to take any gettext patches. Anything using
> d_printf() is probably a good candidate.

I am not sure whether d_printf() is suitable for pam_winbind, because
the library doesn't know where it will print to.:-) Am I right? So I am
working with gettext. But there is still a problem with the
initialization of ntstatus_errors[], it is statically initialized, we
cannot use gettext in it.
one way is to use gettext in _get_ntstatus_error_string(), which causes
it return i18n'ed string. But it puts burden on message string merging
if error codes are added.
another way is to add an initialization function in pam_winbind library,
which makes the code less concise. :-)

It seems that we have to give up one thing for another, easy message
merging VS. clean code. Which one is preferred?