TDB Error When Adding New SMB User using Smbpasswd

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Sun Mar 30 21:06:03 GMT 2008

hevfuture wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I add a new samba user using the smbpasswd command (smbpasswd -a
> sample_username), I get the following error:
> _____________
>
> Unable to modify TDB passwd ! Error: Record exists
>  occurred while storing the RID index (RID_                 )
> Failed to add entry for user sample_username.
> Failed to modify password entry for user sample_username.
> _____________
>
> Does anyone know of any solutions to this error?

Hi, what exact version of samba are you using?

What is your smb.conf file?

Could you provide a level 10 log of the failing action:

smbpasswd -D10 -a username 2>&1 > smbpasswd.log

> I have rebooted several times and also searched on Google, but the only
> proposed solution has been to reinstall the server. Is there any way to
> repair just the tdb file, or just samba?

The tool tdbbackup makes a backup, checking for consistency.
And replay a backup file if yours is broken.

You can of course delete (or rename) the passdb.tdb file if
nothing else helps, loosing your user db that way...

Cheers, Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9