Samba and Application Response Measurement (ARM 4.0)

Sven Kubiak sk at it23.de
Sun Mar 23 18:03:11 GMT 2008

After looking at all (well, most of) the "PROFILE stuff" i think this is the
best way to implment the monitoring we are looking for. From the measuring
point of view, the profiling does the same as ARM. The only difference is
that we want to break down measuring into a set of calls, e.g. a specific
client which is mounting a network drive as one "transaction". As i see it,
Samba profiling counts and measures the specific smb commands in total.
Please correct me, if i am wrong.

Unfortunatly i didn't get the profiling to work, yet. I used the
configuration option --with-profile and enabled profiling using smbcontrol,
but didn't find any output so far. Does the profiling uses a seperate
logfile or do i have to setup a monitor like pcp? Is the pcp example coming
with Samba 3 still up to date?

I found and old release note for Samba 2.2.1, which mentioned that the
profile collection degradation was about 8.5%. Is this still correct for
Samba 3? http://us1.samba.org/samba/history/samba-2.2.1.html

Sven