libsmbclient revamp - need opinions quickly

Derrell Lipman derrell.lipman at unwireduniverse.com
Mon Mar 3 20:08:34 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

>  If we are keeping this much the same, and ABI compatability, why the API
>  changes again?
>
>  Sure, add new, better interfaces that help protect against accidental
>  ABI changes in future, but I still don't quite get why the API breakage
>  change is required.

The reason for the context structure change was to get people to look
at libsmbclient.h and make the changes to their code go use the new
getter/setter interface.  James suggestion to use gcc's 'deprecated '
attribute is a wonderful one, and will solve all of the problems.  I'm
currently reworking this to make it ABI and API compatible with what
we had before, but to issue warnings (assuming gcc) in places where
the deprecated interface is being used.

The best of all worlds.

Derrell