logon script newbee question

Charlie medievalist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 22:36:26 GMT 2008

You could have the samba preexec script create a file with the unix
"touch" command, on a share where the workstation can get to it, and
delete that file as the last command in the logon script, couldn't
you?

If you use gamin or FAM to monitor the contents of the share from the
unix side, this could be very efficient (you'd have to understand FAM
though).  If you set up a dummy wait loop your sysadmins will hate you
for wasting resources but it will still work.

There are lots of ways to signal through a shared filesystem.  Once
your workstation has successfully logged into a domain, your samba
host and your workstation have a shared filesystem.

--Charlie